With Christmas right around the corner, I’m looking forward to sitting down with my family and watching all of my favorite Christmas shows!
Here are my top 10:
1. White Christmas – Nothing like a classic Christmas musical. With favorites like Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera-Ellen, their songs are the best for getting you into the Christmas spirit. And getting stuck in your head (“Sisters…SISTERS”). The plot of the story includes love and saving a Vermont Inn when the snow season falls a little flat.
2. Yogi’s First Christmas – I loved this as a kid, and I still watch it now. It’s even more awesome watching it on the old VHS from taping it off of TV – the commercials are epic. In this cartoon, Yogi and Boo Boo wake from their typical winter slumber just in time for Christmas! The two, along with other Hanna-Barbera favorites, fend off two holiday grouches to make sure it’s the most jolliest day of the year!
3. Garfield Christmas – Garfield is awesome. This original cartoon (not the new computer animated Garfield) follows Garfield to the farm where John grew up. Garfield connects with John’s grandma and learns a few important lessons about Christmas. I always wanted the gift machine from the beginning.
4. A Muppet Family Christmas – I adooooore the Muppets! This is one of my favorites, bringing together a vast majority of Jim Henson’s creations including the Muppets, Fraggles and Sesame Street Gang!
5. Mickey’s Christmas Carol – Disney’s favorite characters playing traditional Christmas Carol roles. Scrooge McDuck is Ebeneezer (of course). ‘Nuff said.
6. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York – This may have been when my obsession with New York City began. I was roughly second grade when this came out and being a smart kid with a ton of money, without your parents, in the greatest city in the world was just an amazing concept to me. This is probably my favorite.
7. It’s a Wonderful Life – This is a Christmas classic that I’ve personally found to be somewhat depressing. The ending is superbly happy, but the journey there… Nonetheless, it’s a great holiday classic that seems all to relevant today. Cherish what you have and come together as a community!
8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas – “He’s a mean one, Mr. Grinch”. This is a classic! My favorite part of the Grinch? Max the Dog. So freaking adorable!! I’ve always wanted a reindeer dog since then.
9. Polar Express – Though this is a newer Christmas movie, it’s got all the makings of a classic. It’s got a realistic, yet cartoonish feel – very beautiful. It should give hope to any older kid that yes, there is a Santa Claus.
10. Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town – This is my favorite of all the stop-motion Christmas specials of old. I love following the story of Santa Claus, learning his history and watching how he struggles to get toys in the hands of children everywhere.
What are you favorite Christmas specials/shows/movies? Leave a comment below!