I found this image with a recipe for a detox drink on Pinterest. I’d been meaning to try it for awhile, but after spending a week staying with the boyfriends parents who insist on southern cooking (aka large portions) I especially felt the need to beat the bloat! I tipped the scales at nearly 10 lbs from my starting weight upon returning and am fairly certain that a good portion of it is water weight gain from high sodium intake (steak, bacon, sausage, hamburger…)
I Googled this recipe to verify it’s source and learned that it did indeed come from Jillian Michaels in an article from OK! Magazine about how to quickly lose a dress size for an upcoming event. Well, considering I have a wedding to go to THIS weekend I better get on it!
Reading some reviews, some people complained about the taste of dandelion tea but with my concoction (recipe below) I found it to be quite tasty!
Jillian Michaels How To Quickly Go Down A Dress Size Before An Event
1. Take three to five days to prepare.
2. Drink a gallon of water a day with two tea bags of dandelion tea, all-natural cranberry juice and the juice of one lemon.
3. Eat asparagus and a little watermelon. The potassium helps flush water out.
4. No salt. Sodium-rich foods include cold cuts, most meat, anything processed.
5. Avoid tanning because the sun will dehydrate you. If you want color, go for a spray tan.
6. Work out.
7. Spend three 20-minute sessions in a sauna and sweat it out of your cells.
8. Avoid carbs.
9. Go to a spa and get a body wrap.
Well the sauna and spa are out of the question for me since I don’t have a gym membership anymore and don’t want to spend any money. I don’t tan so I’ve got that down, and I will definitely be avoiding sodium.
The recipe in the image doesn’t exactly follow what Jillian recommended since hers calls for a gallon of water (128 oz), two tea bags of dandelion tea, and juice from a lemon. I ended up having to modify it anyway since I only had a 24 oz container.
Project Alice Jillian Michaels Detox Recipe
24 oz hot water
1 Dandelion (root) tea
1 tbsp (organic) cranberry juice
2 tbsp lemon juice (all natural)
Make a cup of tea and follow instructions for steeping dandelion tea. In your insulated mug or bottle, add 1 tbsp organic cranberry juice and 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Pour the dandelion root tea in the mug when it’s ready, including the tea bag. Add more hot water to fill the mug/bottle. Remove the tea bag and squeeze any liquid out of it.
(Alternately, you can fill your mug and drop your dandelion tea bag into it. I left the bag in all day and it didn’t seem to alter the flavor.)
Here is a list of the brands I used and where I bought them:
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Dandelion Herbal Tea – I bought at Target, but they’re also available on Amazon
- RW Knudsen Just Cranberry Organic Cranberry Juice – Target for $9, online for comparable price
- Market Pantry Natural Strength 100% Lemon Juice – Target brand was a really get deal at 32 oz for under $2 here.
The Results of Detox Drinks
I did this, paired with a limited calorie intake (800-1200) a day, as well as more liquids (2-3 cups of tea a day and glasses of water) and lost nearly all of the weight I had gained from vacation in slightly less than a week!
I’ve been continuing it to little result, but simply because I love the added hydration to my day and actually the taste!
So if you’re in a rush to lose some bloat I would definitely recommend trying this.
Like what you read? Share with your friends using the social media buttons on this post, and don’t forget to follow me on Twitter for more stories, research, and recommendations!